Sharjah Media Corporation preparations in full swing to host Munshid Sharjah chanting nights

Sharjah: Preparations by Sharjah Media Corporation are in full swing to host the four chanting evenings in Munshid Sharjah 7, the first of which will take place at Al Majaz Amphitheatre on 5th of December, followed by three evenings on 12th, 19t and 26th of December, respectively, in presence of 14 aspiring vocal talents from the UAE and 13 other countries.

The inaugural chanting night will feature a number of chants, including a group chant titled “Land of Happiness”, which will be chanted by participants in Munshid Sharjah 7 competitions. Written, composed and produced by Saif Fadhil, the chant praises the UAE and is being presented by Sharjah Media Corporation on the occasion of the UAE’s 43rd National Day. The evening will feature Emirati artist Abdullah Al Wassmi, who will sing a collection of his national songs, such as ‘United House’, ‘Beautiful Life’, and ‘I Swear to Protect You’ among other of his well known songs.

The supervising committee of Munshid Sharjah, which will be telecast on SMC’s Sharjah TV, revealed that three winners will be selected on the fourth (closing) night, and a cash prize of AED150,000 and BMW will be awarded to first place winner, while the second and third place winners will receive AED100,000 and AED75,000, respectively.

Speaking on the occasion,Dr Khalid Al Midfa, Director General of Sharjah Media Corporation, said: “Munshid Sharjah’s four nights will take place amidst an atmosphere of joy and pride of the UAE National Day celebrations and the Sharjah Islamic Culture Capital Celebrations. We are, also, grateful for the support of HH Sheikh Dr Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah, who ordered the purchase of all the programme’s tickets to enable fans enter for free to support the vocalists. We are honoured to convey our heartfelt thanks and appreciation to His Highness for this generous gesture.”

Artist Mohammed Tharwat, Member of the Judging Panel of Munshid Sharjah 7, revealed the assessment and selection criteria for the performance of chanters. Criteria include voice layers, rhythm harmony, theatrical performance, ability to sign Maqams, and ability to perform oriental chanting in addition to the current chanting. The chanter’s ability to interact with audience will be taken into consideration, also.

Speaking about the qualification process, Tharwat said that the judging panel decided that no vocalists would be disqualified from the inaugural night, while 4 vocalists would be disqualified on the second night and 4 others on the third night, while the remaining 6 nominees will compete on the closing night. The first winner will be selected at the discretion of the judging panel, which controls 70% of the vote, while the remaining 30% vote will be 20% to audience and 10% to the vocal trainers.

Munshid Sharjah 7 is expected to see healthy and strong competition, especially after the competition garnered international attention due to the participation of many countries for the first time, the outstanding vocal talents, and the judging panel comprising of renowned artists. The participating vocalists in the final competitions are from the UAE, Malaysia, Algeria, Macedonia, Jordan, Croatia, Morocco, Oman, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Syria, KSA, Egypt, Iraq and Yemen.

SOURCE: WAM