Egypt has rejected an Italian request to hand over the phone records of mobile subscribers in the Cairo district where an Italian doctoral student resided before being abducted, tortured and killed, a senior Egyptian official said Saturday.
Senior prosecutor Mustafa Suleiman addressed a news conference a day after Italy recalled its ambassador to protest what it described as a lack of cooperation in the investigation of the killing of Giulio Regeni, whose body was found in February, nine days after he disappeared, bearing signs of torture.
Suleiman said Egypt rejected the request because it violated Egyptian laws and the constitution. He said the Italians later told an Egyptian delegation visiting Rome this week that the continuation of judicial cooperation between the two nations over the case hinged on meeting their request for the records, which include those of subscribers in the Cairo suburb where Regeni’s body was found Feb. 3.
“The Egyptian delegation reasserted its uncompromising rejection,” said Suleiman, who led the senior judicial and security team that reviewed the case with Italian officials in Rome this week.
Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi said on Tuesday his country deeply regretted Regeni’s death and intended to “transparently” continue its “full cooperation” with Italy to resolve the case and bring the culprits to justice.
Regeni went missing on Jan. 25, the fifth anniversary of the 2011 uprising, when police were out in force to prevent demonstrations, leading to speculation that Egyptian security forces were behind his abduction and death. The Interior Ministry has denied any involvement.
The Egyptian government has suggested several alternative scenarios. It recently claimed that security forces had killed members of a kidnapping gang in a raid and circulated photos of Regeni’s ID cards it said had been found at the scene. That explanation was widely dismissed, including in the Italian media, which has closely followed the case.
El-Sissi and Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi have forged close ties since the Egyptian leader came to office in June 2014. Italy is Egypt’s biggest EU trading partner and the two countries have been coordinating policies on Libya, Egypt’s neighbour and Italy’s former colony, where the extremist Islamic State group has a local affiliate.
Renzi told reporters on Friday that the decision to recall the ambassador was made “immediately” after Italian prosecutors gave their assessment of two days of meetings with the Egyptians that they had hoped would deliver useful evidence.
“Italy, as you know, made a commitment to the family of Giulio Regeni naturally, to the memory of Giulio Regeni, but also to the dignity of all us, saying we’d only stop in front of the truth,” Renzi said. Recalling the ambassador to Rome “means Italy is confirming this commitment to itself, to the family,” the premier said.